Ballagan Castle (site of)
The site of a 12th century castle, variously known as Campsie Castle, Strathblane and Ballagan Castle, lies within the grounds of Ballagan House.
In 1225 Alexander II confirmed a charter by Maol Domhnaich, Earl of Lennox, to Simon, son of Robert Croc, of the lands of “Brengrochane and Kymonedhane and Gartbethe” (Balgrochan, Kilmannan and Carbeth).
Around 1240 Sir David of Grahame received a charter from Maol Domhnaich, Earl of Lennox, granting him three silver merks due to him for the rent of Strathblane. At a similar time Sir David received a half carucate of land of Strathblane from the Earl.
Alternative names for Ballagan Castle
Campsie Castle; Camsi Castle; Strathblane Castle; Strathblayn Castle