Hawkhead (site of)
Hawkhead or Halkhead was a castle belonging to the Ross family in the late 14th century, although nothing of it now remains.
The estate was originally owned by the Crown but was acquired by Sir John Ross in 1367.
In 1634 a new range of low buildings was added to the old tower and in 1700 more buildings were created to form a courtyard. Robert Adam was responsible for further remodelling between 1750 and 1780.
The house became part of the Hawkhead Asylum in 1914 and was demolished in 1953.
Alternative names for Hawkhead
Halkhead; Hawkhead Castle; Hawkhead House