This Class III stone is a recumbent stone which seems to have been part of a composite grave marker as there’s a socket at one end to take an upright cross. Two serpents are carved in relief on the central panel, surrounded by a raised border made up of double spirals and diagonal interlace.
The stone was found during the digging of graves at St Martin’s church sometime before 1832 and was erected on the opposite side of the road to the church. Later it was moved to the nearby Craigmill House where it was fixed to the garden wall just inside the gate. In 1969 it was given to the McManus Galleries in Dundee.