A stone carved with the symbol of an eagle was found during the excavation of Oxtro broch in 1847 but has since been lost.
The stone had been reused as a covering slab for a short cist in a cemetery which had been created over the ruins of the broch. It may have subsequently been built into the wall of an outbuilding at Boardhouse farm, although its location can no longer be ascertained.
There aren’t many details of the stone so it isn’t known if it was carved with a single symbol or what size it was.
Alternative names for Oxtro
Broch of Oxtro; Haughster; Okstrow