This stone was one of two (along with Orphir 2) seen built into a wall at St Nicholas’ Church, Earl’s Bu, in 1939 but is now considered lost.
The stone was found during excavations in 1939 built horizontally into the footings of a wall below ground level at the north-west corner of the pend tower. It is thought to have been installed in that location in the 12th century.
Measuring around 0.9m tall by 0.4m across, it is carved with a crescent and V-rod. The stone is no longer visible but is probably still in situ.
Alternative names for Orphir 1
Earl’s Bu 1
Weather at Orphir 1
max 8°C / min 7°C
Weather observed at Orphir at 05:52