This small stone was discovered in a field near Murthly during ploughing in 1886. The stone was just below the surface, lying east to west, and sat (with another plain slab) on stones set on edge. Nothing was found in the compartment below. The site may originally have been a chapel.
The stone features some interesting carvings, including a “birdman” and a “dogman” fighting with bow and arrow and sword and shield respectively, three sea creatures, and a man being chased by a large animal, possibly a lion, bear or boar.
The stone is now in the National Museum.
Alternative names for Murthly