This probable class III cross slab was found in the floor of a chapel having been re-used and is carved with a decortaed cross.
During repair works at St Nicholas’ Church in 1893 the stone was found in the floor. It measures around 1.42m tall by 0.44m wide narrowing to 0.33m at the base.
On one side carved moulding around the edge of the slab surrounds and almost central equal-armed cross with closed armpits. The lefthand, upper and lower arms are too worn to properly distinguish the carvings on them but the righthand arm features a circle interlaced with a four loop cord motif. The shaft of the cross is filled in with triangular interlace knotwork with cruciform knots at the base.
In the 19th century the stone was taken to Graemeshall and is now fixed to the north wall of a private chapel there.
Alternative names for Graemeshall
St Nicholas's Church