The plain penannular terminal link, six entire links and two broken links of a massive Pictish silver chain were found on Whitlaw farm in 1895.
When it was found there were around twenty links however it was broken up and most of the links were lost. The surviving pieces were later wrongly reassembled. It is thought to date to the 4th to 6th centuries.
The remnants of the chain were donated to the then National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (now the National Museums of Scotland) by the Queen’s and Lord Treasurer’s Remembrancer.