This massive Pictish silver chain was discovered in the side of a drain at Whitecleugh in May 1869.
Comprising of twenty-two pairs of large rings linked together in pairs, it is completed by a penannular ring decorated with a double disc and Z-rod and a “tuning fork” symbol inlaid with red enamel.
Together these weigh some 1.73kg. It is thought to date to the 4th to 6th centuries.
The chain was placed in the then National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, now the National Museums of Scotland.
Alternative names for Whitecleugh
OS Map for Whitecleugh
Weather at Whitecleugh
max 11°C / min 6°C
Weather observed at Douglas at 23:33