This massive double-linked Pictish silver chain was found while digging around 1.6km east of Parkhill railway station and declared as treasure trove in February 1864.
Iit comprises twenty three interlocked pairs of circular links, joined by a penannular terminal ring which is decorated with engraved symbols – a pair of triangles and three dots arranged in a triangle on one side, and an S-shaped design and two sets of three dots arranged as triangles on the other – filled with red enamel.
The chain measures 44.5cm long and weighs some 1.23kg and is thought to date to the 4th to 6th centuries.
It is now held in the National Museums of Scotland.
Weather at Parkhill
max 3°C / min 0°C
Weather observed at Dyce at 20:12