Between 1819 and 1822, during the excavation of a cairn known as Norrie’s Law at Balman farm, a hoard of silver was discovered.
At the base of the cairn a cist was found, and it was either near or within this that the hoard was uncovered. Weighing around 12.5kg in total it included two penannular brooches, a pin with decorated pinhead, some rings, fragments of plates, four Roman coins and a pair of leaf-shaped engraved plaques.
The plaques are of particular interest, being engraved with the double-disc and Z-rod symbol along with a stylised dog’s head which are reminiscent of the Lindisfarne style, and are thought to date to the 7th or 8th centuries AD.
Some of the hoard was sold for scrap by a pedlar with the name Forbes, while other items were “bestowed” locally. Later the proprietor of Largo, General Durham, seems to have commissioned a dig at the cairn and discovered more items. In the 1830s some of the items were donated to the then National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, now the National Museums of Scotland, by Lady Durham.
Where is Norrie's Law?
Alternative names for Norrie's Law
Norries Law; Norrieslaw Cottage