This Pictish silver chain was found in June 1880 during the sowing of turnips at Hoardweel, part of the Douglas and Angus Estates.
Comprising of forty-one rings and a penannular ring, it measures just under 45cm in length and is thought to date to the 4th to 6th centuries. Analysis of its composition suggests that it is made mainly from Roman silver with little other metal added.
The chain was loaned to the then National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, now the National Museums of Scotland.
OS Map for Hoardweel
Weather at Hoardweel
max 11°C / min 9°C
Weather observed at Duns at 09:14