Trochrague is a multi-period mansion built around a 16th century tower.
The property of Trochrig was owned by the Boyd family from the 15th century and it is likely that they built the first tower. It was occupied in 1572 by James Boyd, Archbishop of Glasgow.
A stone carved with the date 1684 has been installed over a window in the west wall.
The tower was remodelled in the Georgian period, work that can still be identified on the south façade.
In 1744 Mary Boyd, daughter of David Boyd, a surgeon in Wigtown, married John McCulloch of Torhouse and the joint arms of the McCullochs and the Boyds of Trochrig can be found on that property.
The house was extended and remodelled again in 1881 with semi-baronial additions and further work was carried out between 1910 and 1912, in 1915 and between 1920 and 1923.
Alternative names for Trochrague
Trochraigue House; Trochreg; Trochrig