Tillicoultry Castle (site of)
Writing in “Reminiscences of Dollar, Tillicoultry and other districts adjoining the Ochils” in 1883, William Gibson mentions a castle standing at the foot of Castle Craig as late as the early 19th century.
It was apparently replaced by a house named Castle Mills, although no trace of the castle or the house can now be found. However on a 19th century plan of the mills that used to line the Tillicoultry Burn, “Site of Castle Mill” is marked at the top of Upper Mill Street.
It seems likely that this mill was built on the site of Tillicoultry Castle. Today the site lies within a small park, Castle Mill possibly having been washed away during a devastating flood in August 1877.
Alternative names for Tillicoultry Castle