Tartraven Castle is thought to have stood on the site of Mid Tartraven farm, although nothing now remains.
Tartraven occupies a prominent position at the end of a high ridge running east from Torphichen, overlooking the surrounding land. It isn’t known exactly when Tartraven Castle was built, as it is unclear if the castle was always on this site, or if it replaced an earlier castle.
The lands of Tartraven were the property of the Melville family as far back as the 12th century, when a Sir Richard de Melville granted some of his land to the chapel of Retrevyn (later Tartraven).
In 1264 a Gregory de Malville granted the right of passage through the lands of Retrevyn to the monks of Newbattle. Gregory’s grandson, John Melville, confirmed the charter of the right of way in 1329.
By the 17th century the lands of Tartraven were owned by the Ross family, at which time their residence was described as a small castle or mansion house.
Little else is known about Tartraven Castle, and while at the beginning of the 19th century it was apparently still possible to see the foundations and part of the gateway, these have now gone, although there may be some dressed stones from the castle incorporated into a farm steading.