Stone Hill (site of)
A castle once stood on Stone Hill but nothing of it now remains.
The castle occupied a commanding position on Stone Hill at the end of a steep-sided ridge on the east bank of the Jed Water.
Little is known about the early history of the castle which stood here, however it is thought to have been owned by the Kerrs of Ferniehirst Castle. When it was built is also unknown although it must have been some time before 1523 as in that year Thomas Howard, the 2nd Early of Surrey, wrote that Jedburgh had “six good towers therin, which towne and toweris be clenely destroyed, brent and throwne downe”.
All that is known about the structure is that the walls were between 1.8m and 2.1m thick.
A tower named Howdenn appears Joan Blaeu’s Atlas on the opposite side of the Jed Water to Jedburgh, to the south of what is presumably the Howden Burn. To the north of the burn is a tower named Tour which could conceivably be the one on Stone Hill, however it seems more likely that it is another tower slightly further north which perhaps gave its name to the Tower Burn.
In 1823 Stoney Hill is marked on John Wood’s map of Jedburgh as belonging to a Mr Davidson of Stewartfield, a property further along the ridge later called Hartrigge.
The last of the foundations of the tower were removed about 1852.
The castle may appear on Roy’s Military Survey as a red square on the east bank of the Jed Water, although the building isn’t named so it’s difficult to say for sure.
Nothing now remains on the site to suggest what once stood here.
Alternative names for Stone Hill