Sauchie Tower was built between 1430 and 1440 by James Schaw, Comptroller of the King’s Works, and shares similarities with the 15th century additions to nearby Clackmannan Tower.
The tower was once surrounded by a courtyard wall, a section of which can still be seen to the north. A mansion house, Old Sauchie House, was built against this wall in 1631 although it was demolished around 1930.
At ground floor level is a well, and access to a cellar and dungeon below. There are three further floors above.
Excavations in and around Sauchie Tower suggests that the building was still being used in some form until the mid-18th century, possibly coinciding with when it passed to the Cathcart family in 1752 as part of the marriage between Marion Schaw and Charles, the 8th Baron Cathcart.
The Friends of Sauchie Tower was set up in 2002 to try to protect the tower from further decline, learn more about its history, and restore it.
Alternative names for Sauchie Tower
Devon Tower; Old Sauchie House; Old Sauchie Tower