Riccarton (site of)
The tower house of Riccarton was built in the 15th century and by 1508, when it was owned by the Wardlaw family, it formed “a substantial fortified tower”. In 1621 and 1827 it was extended to become a more luxurious house rather than a defensive castle.
During World War Two Riccarton House was used as the Headquarters of Scottish Command, and post-war it was the Headquarters of the Royal Artillery 3rd Anti Aircraft Group until they left in 1954. By 1956 the house was in such a bad condition that it was demolished and nothing now remains on the site, which is within Heriot Watt university’s Riccarton campus, apart from the landscaped gardens and a pair of 17th century gatepiers.
Alternative names for Riccarton
Ricartoun; Riccarton House