Ravensneuk Castle is thought to date back to 1527, and was a small castle with walls around 1.0m thick.
Now only the north wall remains, standing to a maximum height of 1.5m, along with a section of the north-west corner.
Stone was robbed from the castle by Sir John Clerk around the start of the 18th century to build walls when he was landscaping parkland on the Penicuik estates around Newbiggin.
Where is Ravensneuk Castle?
Ravensneuk Castle is in the parish of Penicuik and the county of Midlothian.
Grid reference:NT 2228 5901
Lat / long:55.818112,-3.241826