Raffles (site of)
Raffles was a 16th century tower house although nothing of it now remains.
The lands were owned by the Raffles family in the 13th century before passing to the Carruthers in the 14th century.
In 1618 George Carruthers of Denbie obtained letters of inhibition against his brother, John Carruthers of Holmains, preventing him from disponing or intromitting with (transferring ownership of or dealing with) the 5 merk land of Eccelfechan, the 6/8 land of Raffles and the 6/8 lands of Howthat which he should have infefted George in.
In 1666 George Carruthers, youngest son of the late George Carruthers of Denbie, disposed of the 40 shilling lands of Denbie, the 5 merk land of Ecclefechan “possest by William Irving elder and younger”, the half merk land of Raffles and the half merk lands of Howthat to James Johnstone, 1st Earl of Annandale and Hartfell. The Earl’s factor and Chamberlain was James Carruthers of the family of Holmains.
Alternative names for Raffles
East Raffles; Rafflegil; Rafflegill; Raffulgil; Rafhol; Rafhols; Refflas; Rochell; Ruffulgil