While the vast majority of what can be seen at Prestongrange House is 19th century work by Playfair, it is built around an earlier core which dates to at least the late 16th century.
It’s possible that a tower house was built in the mid-16th century by the then owners Mark Ker and his wife Helen Leslie, in a period when Border skirmishes were commonplace.
During interior work being carried out in 1962 a painted ceiling dated 1581 was found. It was removed to Merchiston Castle.
Prestongrange House is now home to Royal Musselburgh Golf Club.
Alternative names for Prestongrange House
Newbattle Grange; Preston Grange