Pitmilly House (site of)
Pitmilly was a castle belonging to the Monypenny family but nothing of it now remains.
The Monypennys held the lands of Pitmilly from the 12th century.
In November 1517 William Monypenny of Petmulye granted to Sir William Myrtone, vicar of Lawthresk, an annual rent of four merks Scots out of his lands of Petmulye, for the sum of forty pounds Scots. The boundaries of Petmulye were described as “between the lands of Kilduncane and Fausyd at the west, the lands of Byrhyll on the north, the sea on the east, and the lands of Kyngis Bernis on the south”.
Pitmilly was originally located within the parish of Crail however in 1631 Kingsbarns parish was established as a separate entity from Crail, comprising of “the lands of Pitmillie, Mortoun of Pitmillie, mylnes thairof, Kilduncane, Falsyde, Cuikstoun, Gersmestoun, Kingisbarnes and baronie of Kippo, Cambed, Belches and Mwirhouse, Randerstoun and Newtoun”.
In 1820 Pitmilly House was built on the site and may have incorporated parts of the earlier castle. The mansion burned down in 1967 and was subsequently demolished.
Alternative names for Pitmilly House
Petmulye; Pitmillie; Putmullin