Pilmuir House is an early 17th century laird’s house which replaced an earlier castle.
The Cairns family owned Pilmuir from the 15th century and may have been responsible for building the original castle. In 1624 William Cairns built the present T-plan house, possibly on the site of or incorporating part of the earlier building. A stone over the entrance to the stair wing carries the date 1624 along with the initials of William and his wife Agnes Broun.
In the middle of the 17th century the property passed by marriage to the Borthwick family.