Penshiel Grange is a ruined 15th century vaulted grange of which only the wall footings remain.
Penshiel is referred to in a charter of 1200 when it was granted to the monks of the Isle of May by Patrick, Earl of Dunbar, and it was later associated with Melrose Abbey.
Aligned approximately east to west it stands on a plateau above what was once the confluence of the Faseny Water and the Whiteadder Water and is now the Whiteadder Reservoir. It measures around 25.9m long by 7.6m wide with walls around 1.4m thick. Towards the east end of the north wall is a doorway and at the south-east corner are the slight remains of what may have been a circular stair tower. Piercing the west wall are two shot-holes.
The remains of a courtyard wall stretching around 45m to the north and around 18m to the south are represented by turf-covered stony banks indicating walls around 0.9m thick.
Alternative names for Penshiel Grange
Pensheel; Penshiel; Penshiel Tower
Where is Penshiel Grange?
Penshiel Grange is in the parish of Whittinghame and the county of East Lothian.
Grid reference:NT 64175 63195
Lat / long:55.860600,-2.573915