Leslie House is a ruined 18th century mansion which incorporates the remains of an earlier castle.
The castle was built on lands that were once known as Fethkill. Towards the end of the 12th century Waltheof, son of Merleswain and grandson of Merleswain, Lord of Kennoway and Ardross, inherited Fethkill, Ardross, and Kennauchy and his possessions also included Kincraig, Sandford and Elie. Waltheof’s son, another Merleswain, died around 1250 leaving three daughters, Scolastica, Margaret of Ardross and Ela of Ardross.
In February 1440 George Leslie, later 1st Earl of Rothes, was served heir to his father, Norman de Leslie, in the eighth part of the lands of Innergilly.
The castle was remodelled as a palace for the Earl of Rothes in the 17th century and a vaulted kitchen and storerooms from the castle were incorporated into the new building.
The palace burned down in 1763 and only its west wing, which included the remnants of the castle, was rebuilt a few years later as a classical mansion.
The mansion burned down in 2009 and is now a substantial ruin.
Alternative names for Leslie House
Fethkill; Fettykil; Fithkil; Fythkil; Lesly C.; Lesly Castle; Palace of Leslie; Palace of Rothess; Rothes House