Orchardton Tower is a 15th century round tower which was built by the Cairns family.
The lands of Orchardton were owned by the Douglas family until the mid-15th century. John Cairns was granted the lands, also known as Irisbuitle, by James II, possibly for the Cairns family’s support in suppressing the Black Douglases.
In the 16th century the tower passed to the Maxwell family when Janet Cairns, the second daughter and co-heiress of William Cairns of Orchardton, married George Maxwell of Drumcoltran. George’s son, Edward Maxwell, sold Orchardton to Robert Maxwell, eldest son of Robert Maxwell of Spottes, around 1640.
The castle is now cared for by Historic Environment Scotland and is free to visit throughout the year, although restrictions apply.
Alternative names for Orchardton Tower
Irisbuitle; Orchardton Castle; Orchardtoun; Orchartoun