Old Balmoral Castle
The Old Castle of Balmoral dated to the early 16th century and stood on what is now the lawn of the present Balmoral Castle, which was built in 1853.
It took the form of a square keep, attached to which was a small courtyard surrounded by a thick wall. On three of the four corners of the castle were turrets which were probably added in the 17th century.
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert leased the castle in 1848, and enjoyed their stay so much that in 1852 they bought it for £30,000. They employed William Smith of Aberdeen to design a new castle which was built between 1853 and 1856.
The Old Castle of Balmoral was knocked down in 1855, and its position is now marked by a marble stone inscribed with the legend “This stone marks the position of the front entrance door (facing the south) of old Balmoral Castle taken down in 1855”.
Alternative names for Old Balmoral Castle
Old Castle of Balmoral