Myrton Castle is a 15th century tower which stands on top of an earlier motte.
The motte is likely to date back to the 12th century and a wooden tower was probably built on top of it. Later this tower was replaced with a stone-built one and the remaining ruins indicate a 15th century date.
The tower was owned by the McCullochs who were the most powerful family in the area.
In the 17th century the tower was extended to the north with the addition of a new range.
In 1644 Hugh McCulloch of Torhouse married Cecil, daughter of John McCulloch of Myrton.
Myrton passed to the Maxwell family in 1682 and in the 18th century they remodelled the range however around 1800 the tower was partially-dismantled and converted for use as a doocot around 1860.
Alternative names for Myrton Castle
Mertoun; Monreith House; Myerton Castle; Myreton Castle; Myrtoun