Moscrope's Tower (site of)
Moscrope’s Tower once stood near the junction between Friarsburn Close and the High Street in Jedburgh however nothing of it now remains.
Exactly when the tower was built is not known however it has been suggested that it may have been constructed in the 15th century during an upgrade of Jedburgh’s defences following the destruction of Jedburgh Castle in 1409. It may have been built to control access into the market square from the north.
It was one of the “six good towers” in Jedburgh described by Thomas Howard, 2nd Earl of Surrey, who attacked the town in 1523. Jedburgh was attacked again by Edward Seymour, 1st Earl of Hertford, in 1544 and was occupied by the English before the Battle of Ancrum in 1545 and before the Battle of Pinkie in 1547.
Adam Moscrop was a bailie of Jedburgh in 1508.
The site is now occupied by 19th century buildings.