Meikleour House may incorporate the remains of an earlier tower house.
The Mercer family owned the lands of Meikleour in the 12th century and the tower house is likely to have been a successor to the nearby motte.
In 1443 James II granted Andrew Mercer de Mekilloure the lands of Balleyffe, Ballachouse, Culcarny, Kynnarde, Mekilloure, Awdese, Dalketh, Tulibagill, Dunberny, Gilgirstoun and Ledenoch, erecting them into the free barony of Mekilloure.
In 1475 Laurence Mercer granted his wife, Elizabeth Wardlaw, daughter of Henry Wardlaw of Torrie, the lands Estir-awdeis, Westir-awdeis, Powmyll with its mill, Dunbery and Petrathlie, Tulebalis and Lidnoche.
Their son, Henry Mercer de Mekilloure, received from James IV in 1504 confirmation of the lands of Balleyff, Ballachous, Culcarny, Kynnarde, Mekilloure, Awdeys, Dalkeyth, Tulybagill, Dunberny, Petcaithly, Gilgirstoun and Lednoch, which were reconfirmed in 1511. Henry was killed at the Battle of Flodden in 1513.
A carved stone in the kitchen of Meikleour House carried the date 1674 but it can no longer be located.
Alternative names for Meikleour House