Longniddry Castle (site of)
The castle of the Douglas family of Longniddry once stood on a mound on this site, but nothing is visible now.
In 1449 George Seton of Seton and Longniddry, 3rd Lord Seton, granted lands on the east side of Longniddry, where John de Galaway used to live, to Katherine of Seton, second wife and widow of John Seton, 2nd Lord Seton, in exchange for the third part of the lands of Lowstoun and Kynwed in Perthshire. The 3rd Lord Seton’s grandson, George, 4th Lord Seton, sold the lands of Monyvy, Lowstoun and Kynvaid to Robert Vaus, burgess of Edinburgh, in 1493.
In the mid-19th century some ruins still remained, and the vaulted lower apartments of the castle could still be seen within the mound.
Alternative names for Longniddry Castle
Langnudre; The Laird's Dyke; The Laird's Garden; The Vaults