Lockerbie Tower (site of)
Lockerbie Tower was a 16th century tower house belonging to the Johnstones however nothing of it now remains.
In 1585 the Johnstones were involved in a feud with the Maxwells, probably started by the Maxwells raiding Johnstone lands. That year John Maxwell, 8th Lord Maxwell and briefly the Earl of Morton, attacked the two “stone houses” of the Johnstones in Lockerbie, presumably Lockerbie Tower and Netherplace.
The tower was still occupied by the Johnstones when William Johnstone of Lockerbie died there in 1722. It was later used as the town’s jail but was demolished in 1967. The site is now occupied by a police station.
Alternative names for Lockerbie Tower
Locartbie; Lochirbe; Lokartbie; Mains Tower