Letham (site of)
A tower is marked on Pont’s 16th century map in this area, named either Lathamm or Latharam, but nothing of it now remains.
The tower is subsequently named on the Gordons’ mid-17th century map as Latharm, in Blaeu’s mid-17th century atlas as Lathamm and on Adair’s late 17th century map as Lethim.
By the 19th century the property appears on maps as Letham Place. In the Stirlingshire OS Name Book of 1858-61 it was described as “An old mansion of Plain architecture two Storeys. and in bad repair” and was owned at that time by the Carron Company.
Letham Place appears to have been demolished some time towards the end of the 19th century. It is marked on the Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile map that was published in 1897 but doesn’t appear on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch to the mile map which was published in the same year or on the 6 inch to the mile map published in 1899, and it is missing from all subsequent maps.
Alternative names for Letham
Latham; Lathamm; Latharm; Letham Place; Lethim