A castle once stood at what is now Grange Farm, and as late as 1849 the remains of a large corner tower and a section of thick wall were still to be seen attached to a more modern building.
On the lintel of an inner door of the building was carved the date 1687, along with some illegible monograms. It’s thought that some elements of the old castle are incorporated within the structure of the present farmhouse.
The castle was the seat of the Kirkcaldys of Grange, who took their name from this estate. The earliest mention of the Kirkcaldy family is in the thirteenth century with a Sir William de Kirkcaldy.
Certainly by 1440 they were well established in Fife, Sir George de Kirkcaldy receiving half the nearby lands of Seafield and Tyrie in a charter of that year.
Alternative names for Grange
Kirkcaldy of Grange
New York, 1897