Inverleith (site of)
Inverleith was a castle which once stood just to the west of the present Inverleith House, however nothing of it now remains.
Little is known about its early history, however the lands were granted to the Fairlie family early in the 14th century by Robert the Bruce. They then passed via the Ramsay family to the Towers family who held them through the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. Around the middle of the 17th century the Rocheid family took ownership. Inverleith appears on Hendrik Hondius’ map from 1630, based on earlier work by Timothy Pont, as Inner Lyth.
On John Adair’s map from around 1682 it is shown as the substantial property of Inverlieth srrounded by a walled enclosure and trees.
In 1774 Inverleith House was built for Sir James Rocheid, presumably replacing the older building. Nothing of the old castle or its associated doocot remains, and Inverleith House now stands at the centre of Edinburgh’s Royal Botanic Garden.