Hailes Castle occupies a magnificent position on the south bank of the River Tyne. Built in the 13th century, probably by one of the Earls of Dunbar and March, it was enlarged at the end of the 14th century by the Hepburn family. Further building work was carried out in 1507, and again after the castle was burned in 1532.
By the end of the 18th century the west tower was still complete, and the chapel still had its roof and was being used as a granary. The castle is now entirely roofless but the ruins are in good condition.
Alternative names for Hailes Castle
Haillis; Hales; Halys