Gilmerton House is a mid-18th century mansion which either replaced or incorporated an earlier house or possible castle.
The earlier building is marked as a tower on Hondius’ map of 1630 which was based on Pont’s late 16th century map.
It is also marked on Blaeu’s mid-17th century map of the Lothians which was also derived from Pont’s earlier work.
The lands have been owned by the Kinloch family since 1655, when Sir Francis Kinloch bought the East Lothian estates of Gilmerton, Athelstaneford and Markle. Sir Francis was married to Magdalen McMath of Newbyres and by 1674 he was Lord Provost of Edinburgh. In 1686 he was created a baronet of Gilmerton.
The property also appears on Adair’s map of East Lothian from 1682 showing it as a large house named Gilmortoun within a walled enclosure.
Around 1750 Sir David Kinloch, 5th Bt., had a new house built, possibly to a design by John Adam. Additions were made by William Burn in 1829 for Sir David Kinloch, 9th Bt.
The house has been operated as exclusive use accommodation and events venue since 1988.
Alternative names for Gilmerton
Gilmarton; Gilmerton House; Gilmortoun