Garlies Castle is a 14th century courtyard castle which was extended in the 15th century.
The lands of Garlies were held from the 13th century by the Stewart family.
In the 16th century Alexander Stewart of Garlies married Katherine Herries, one of three co-heiresses of William Herries, 3rd Lord Herries of Terregles. Following the death of Lord Herries in 1543 with no male issue his lands were divided between his three daughters, Agnes, Katherine and Janet. Katherine resigned her third part of the barony of Herries to John Hamilton, third son of James, Duke of Châtellerault and 2nd Earl of Arran, in exchange for the Hamiltons providing her dowry.