Fulford Tower (site of)
The old Tower of Fulford was built some time towards the end of the 16th century, and consisted of four storeys in an oblong block.
In 1665 it was repaired using stone from Old Woodhouselee Castle, and it was renamed Woodhouselee.
The upper floors were rebuilt in 1796, leaving only the basement untouched.
In the 19th century Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord Woodhouselee, bought a fireplace, an ornate sundial and numerous carved stones, from the demolished Burgh Muir Castle (also known as Wrychtishousis) in Edinburgh. Several of the stones were built into an archway on the lawn at Woodhouselee.
A heraldic panel with the initials “M A A” arranged around a carved shield bearing three stars above two bars and a crescent was incorporated into the archway along with the stones from Burgh Muir Castle but doesn’t match any known individual associated with that castle. It may therefore have come from the Tower of Fulford, although Lord Woodhouselee was a known collector so it may still have come from elsewhere.
Fulford Tower was demolished in 1965, and the site is now grassed over.