Easter Dawyck was a peel tower in the 16th century however it was demolished towards the end of the 18th century and the stone used to build a new farmhouse.
The site of the tower is marked by an irregularly-shaped mound to the north of the farmhouse.
Easter Dawyck was one of a series of towers along the Tweed valley, each of which was visible from the next. Elibank would signal to Holylee, Holylee to Scrogbank, Scrogbank to Caberston, Caberston to Bold, Bold to Purvishill and then on to a continuing chain from Innerleithen to the north-west.
The signal would then pass along to Traquair, Grieston, Ormiston, Cardrona, Nether Horsburgh, Horsbrugh, Haystoun, Peebles and on to Neidpath. From Neidpath it would continue to Caverhill, Barns, Lyne, Easter Happrew, Easter Dawyck, Hillhouse, West Dawyck, Dreva and on to Tinnis.
Alternative names for Easter Dawyck
E. Daick; Easter Daick; Easter Dawic; Easter Dawick
Where is Easter Dawyck?
Easter Dawyck is in the parish of Stobo and the county of Peeblesshire.
Grid reference:NT 1911 3766
Lat / long:55.625762,-3.2861598