Dalmunzie Castle (site of)
Dalmunzie Castle was probably a 16th century castle, the site of which falls within the ruins of a fermtoun in Glen Shee.
Dalmunzie is first mentioned in 1510 when Sir William Scott granted lands including Dalmunzie to John Fergusson of Dunfallandy. Later Dalmunzie was owned by Robert MacRitchie who seems to have been related to the MacKintosh family.
The Old Castle of Dalmunzie stood on the south bank of the Glen Lochsie Burn, and close to its approximate location are the remains of eleven buildings which made up the fermtoun of Dalmunzie. Some of these buildings have thick walls and may actually constitute part of the old castle, or perhaps a laird’s house which replaced it.
By the 18th century Dalmunzie was owned by the MacKintoshes and had fallen into disrepair. In 1874 by Dr Charles Hills Macintosh, the 10th Laird of Dalmunzie, built an L-shaped hunting lodge on the north bank of the Glen Lochsie Burn which was extended over the following century. The new house, also named Dalmunzie Castle, is now run as a hotel.