There was a tower house belonging to the Maxtone family at Cultoquhey but it was later replaced by new mansions and the present house is largely Georgian in date.
The Maxtone family owned the lands of Cultoquhey since at least 1410.
A large castle named Cultowhay is marked on Pont’s late 16th century map of Strathearn, under which are the words “La: S: maxwel” which may be a transcription error for Maxtone. On Pont’s map of Angus the same words appear under Tealing which was owned by the Maxwells.
Alternative names for Cultoquhey
Cultoquhey House; Cultowhay; Cultywhey
Where is Cultoquhey?
Cultoquhey is in the parish of Fowlis Wester and the county of Perthshire.
Grid reference:NN 89260 23333
Lat / long:56.389250,-3.795322