The first mention of the house of Inverculain is made in 1264, but the majority of the present Cullen House dates from 1543. It replaced Findlater Castle as the seat of the Earls of Seafield.
In the late 17th century and again in 1711 alterations were made to the castle, and it was remodelled again in 1858 by David Bryce.
Pre-17th century sections are known to remain – namely the south-east tower and the west wing.
The house was sold in 1981 and converted into flats, but was damaged by fire in 1987, destroying a painted ceiling from 1662 in the former library.
A Cullen Castle in Banffshire was the place of death of Elizabeth de Burgh, the wife of Robert the Bruce, but whether it was Cullen House or Cullen Castle to the north is unclear.
Alternative names for Cullen House
Cullen Castle, Cullen House, Inverculain