Cromlix Castle was the seat of the Barony of Cromlix, although only a pile of rubble now remains.
Anciently it was home to the Chisholm family.
Following the Jacobite Rising of 1715 its roof was removed, and it began to deteriorate. Some stone was taken, including “elaborate sundials”, to build the nearby Wester Cambushinnie farm steading, during the 18th century.
There were seemingly still substantial ruins until the middle of the 19th century, when the remaining walls were pulled down and the stone used for further building purposes, including presumably the new Cromlix House, built in 1873 around 800m to the west.
Today the site falls in a cultivated field, and all that remains of the castle is a roughly circular pile of stones measuring around 19.0m in diameter and up to around 1.5m in height.