Crichton Castle was built in the late 14th century by John de Crichton. The tall tower now forms the south east corner of a much larger castle which has been added to over the centuries.
The most impressive – and surprising – feature is the Italianate facade of the north range, built in the 1580s by Francis Stewart, the Earl of Bothwell, inspired by his extensive travels on the Continent, in particular in Italy.
In 1956 the castle passed into state care.
Alternative names for Crichton Castle