Colstoun is first mentioned in 1270 in the possession of David Broun, and occupies a defensible position on top of a high bank overlooking Colstoun Water.
While it is unclear if any of the first laird’s castle survives within the present Colstoun House, parts of it are of great antiquity, certainly dating back to at least the mid-16th century, as the top storey of the central tower is known to have been added soon after 1574.
Prior to that, Colstoun House is thought to have been a small square tower with a turret at the north-west angle and two further small turret stairs at the north-west and south-west corners. The walls on the east side of the building are some 5.2 metres thick, and under the basement is a pit prison known as the Laird’s Pit.
The south wing was added around 1750, and the north wing around 1875.
Colstoun House continues to be the home of the Broun family, and also operates as a boutique hotel.
Alternative names for Colstoun House