Cockburn Tower (site of)
Cockburn Tower was a 16th century tower house belonging to the Cockburns of that Ilk although nothing of it now remains.
Later in the 13th century Papple was owned by the family of Lauder of the Bass, probably held from the Earl of March.
Around 1318 Alexander, son and heir of John, granted Gilbert of Chockeburn two oxgates of land in the territory of Popil. Amongst the witnesses was Sir Hugh Gurlay, a steward of Patrick de Dunbar, 9th Earl of March, Patrick, son of Roger de Lawdre of Popil, and Rannulf, son of Patrick Savtemarays of Popil.
Alternative names for Cockburn Tower
Chockeburn; Cockburn Castle