Clackmannan Tower stands in a prominent position on King’s Seat Hill above the village of Clackmannan, with commanding views over the Forth valley.
Built in the 14th century by King David II, it was sold to his kinsman Sir Robert Bruce in 1359, and was the Bruce family residence until 1772. The site has well-established royal connections, as the present tower was built on the site of a wooden motte and bailey castle belonging to Malcolm IV. It was surrounded by a moat, which can still be seen in the form of a slight ditch.
The castle’s oldest part is the lower section of the north tower which is 14th century in date, but additions and alterations were made in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. The 15th century additions are similar in style to the neighbouring 15th century castle of Sauchie Tower.
In the mid-17th century Catherine Bruce, daughter of Sir Robert Bruce of Clackmannan and Margaret Murray, daughter of Sir William Murray of Tullibardine, married William Murray, 1st Earl of Dysart and Lord Huntingtower.
In 1950 a partial collapse of the east side of the castle occurred as a result of subsidence due to mine-workings. The damage was repaired and the castle shored up, but the interior remains too unstable to be open to the public, although the outside can be freely visited.
Alternative names for Clackmannan Tower