Castlelaw, also known as The Castle, is part of an 18th century mansion attached to which may be part of an older tower house.
If it was a tower house it may have been built as a successor to the nearby motte of The Mount.
It is marked on Gordon’s mid-17th century map as a tower named Castell Law and may have been mistakenly marked on Blaeu’s mid-17th century map as Wyliecleuch given its position to the south of Darnchester and to the north-east of Hatchednize.
The property was owned by the Home family in the 17th century. In the 18th century the possible tower was remodelled with the addition of a bow-fronted two storey projection. It was owned in 1771 by a Mr Fish. The last residents moved out in the 1960s and the building has deteriorated since then.
Today the ruins stand on the farm of Castlelaw.
Alternative names for Castlelaw
Castell Law; The Castle; Wyliecleuch