Cambusnethan (site of)
Cambusnethan Priory is a ruined 19th century mansion built on the site of Cambusnethan House, a 17th century building which replaced an earlier castle.
The barony of Cambusnethan was granted to William de Finemund around 1158.
In 1345 David II granted granted the barony of Cambusnethan to Sir Alexander Stewart of Derneley, son of Sir Alan Stewart of Dreghorn. Sir Alexander married a sister of Sir John Turnbull of Minto and was succeeded by his son, also Sir Alexander Stewart of Derneley.
The younger Sir Alexander married the widow Janet Keith of Galstoun, daughter of Sir William Keith of Galstoun. The lands and barony of Camnethan passed as a dowry upon the marriage of their daughter, Janet Stewart, to Thomas de Somerville in 1391.
Alternative names for Cambusnethan
Baird's Tower; Cambusnethan House; Cambusnethan Priory; Camnethan; Kawslethead
Where is Cambusnethan?
Cambusnethan is in the parish of Cambusnethan and the county of Lanarkshire.
Grid reference:NS 78064 53052
Lat / long:55.755418,-3.944505